Monday, September 30, 2013

Pre-Service Jitters!

     I have never interacted or talked to a refugee before so I'm a little nervous to start my project. Many of the people I am going to be working with have lived in a refugee camp and under very harsh conditions. I have never experienced and will most likely never experience anything quite like that. My hope is to learn humility and not to take anything for granted, like I so often do.

    World Relief is a fantastic organization and I am excited to be working with them. My assumption about my site is that I will be working with a family who doesn't speak very much English. I am worried about the language barrier but Kelly from world relief said that everyone is nervous before starting. I know I will be interacting directly with a family and I could be just hanging out with them or helping them learn English. 

     The population World Relief is currently serving are refugees of war from various countries. I believe they are currently helping immigrants from Nepal, Burma, and Bhutan. I greatly enjoy volunteer work because it gives me a chance to help someone who really needs it. I enjoy spending my resources like my time and money because I know I could potentially make someone's life better. That feeling is amazing and I'm hoping this blog and service will encourage others as well.  I am involved in the multicultural group on campus called MACA and I live in the diversity house. The mission for both of these student organizations is to celebrate diversity and to raise awareness. I am passionate about diversity and I am excited to plunge right into cultural diversity through this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment